CHURCH OF THE FUTURE
During Lent 2021 the Diocesan Youth Committee ran a competition entitled “Church of the Future” and judged by an independent panel of Judges:
- The Right Revd Ian Paton, Bishop of The Diocese of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane;
- The Revd Elaine Garman, Rector of St John’s Forfar and a member of the Provincial Church in Society Committee;
- Mr Neil Gaunt, member of the Diocesan Buildings Committee;
- The Revd David Colman, Chaplain to Eco-Congregation Scotland.
The competition remit was for the entrants to share their ideas for a Carbon Neutral Church and these could be submitted in any medium.
The Judges met in early May and after considerable deliberation, the following places were awarded:
1st Place and a £50 voucher – Hannah Buxel, St Mary’s Dunblane
2nd Place and a £25 voucher – Esther Holsteen, St Andrews, St Andrews.
3rd Place and a £15 – Georgie Reid, St Saviours, Bridge of Allan; Jude Holsteen, St Andrews, St Andrews, and Penelope Lang, St Andrews, St Andrews.
Vouchers and congratulations will soon be winging their way to the recipients.
Whilst the number of entries were low, the judges were impressed by the variety and innovative ideas submitted by the entries which were by telling a story; comic strip, art, video and presentation.
These are some of the comments which the judges gave;
- “very picturesque piece of prose”
- “beautifully drawn”
- “lovely way of integrating movement and speech”
- “novel idea of using a comic strip”
- “liked prayers; the point of Church is people.”
Well done to all our entrants and a huge thank you to the judges for giving of their time. Individual entries will be featured in the Diocesan e-News in the coming months.